There were several videos on social of him being beaten by Pakistani locals and getting captured. Now because Abhinandan Varthamam was captured in a defensive action by IAF in response to Pakistan’s Violation of Indian Airspace therefore under Geneva convention, he is a POW. Therefore, he should be granted the following rights under the Geneva Convention Act. Under the 1977 Geneva convention Act,
- He shouldn’t be physically or mentally harmed.
- The capture POW should be retained by the respective party and prevent him from further participating in the conflict.
- He can be interrogated but no acts of violence should be committed by the respective party that is not lawful under the international humanitarian law, IHF.
- POW is must be treated humanely in all circumstances.
- At the end of the conflict when the situation has been resolved between both the parties, The POW should be returned to his respective side.